1. Do I need an English proficiency certificate (IELTS, TOEFL, etc.)?

-> No, you don't. We only need the documents we listed on the application pages. But we mean what we say: Your English skills need to be good to very good. Should you be invited for an interview, English is one factor in the committee's decision on admission/rejection.

2. Do I need letters of recommendation by lecturers?

-> No, you don't.

3. What are the study fees for Medical Life Sciences?

-> There are no study fees for Medical Life Sciences. At many universities in Germany, studying is free of cost. At Kiel University, you only pay a one-time registration fee (55 EUR) and an administration fee at the beginning of each semester (~135 EUR); it covers a semester pass for public transport and a study-related accident insurance as well.


Coming to Germany from abroad

1. Will I manage daily life despite not speaking German?

-> Yes, you will. At university and most civil service agencies like the town hall where you need to register, people speak English. In many shops several staff members speak English as well, so daily life and your studies are not a problem. Usually, people are also quite helpful when you ask them something.

2. What do I need to come to Germany if I am accepted for MedLife?

-> That depends on where you are from. If you are from an EU country, you do not need a visa. If you are from a non-EU country, you need to inform yourself at the German embassy/consulate in your home country which kind of visa you need and apply accordingly.

3. Insurances - do I need any?

-> Yes, you need to have a health insurance. This is usually very easy since you can register with one of the German health insurance companies. After having done that, you can enrol at the university.

4. What about the cost of living in Kiel?

-> Generally speaking, the cost of living is moderate in Germany compared to other countries in western Europe. Kiel as a medium-sized city is not that expensive, either.

Accommodation is becoming scarcer, but if you start early enough and apply at the halls of residence run by different agencies, you stand a good chance of getting an offer for a room. Do not leave it until shortly before the cell-logo-smallsemester starts. Coordination is willing to help, but we can't work miracles.